Monday, April 14, 2008

This run is for the birds!

I ran 13.5 miles in 2 hours and 15 minutes. Not a cloud in the sky, bright sun, and about 40 degrees with a slight breeze from the southwest. I believe it's supposed to get up to 55 degrees today, but I work at 3 and had to run earlier. I parked at Phalen, ran the Gateway Trail, then back around Phalen. I was really tired around the 8 mile mark, but was able to push through.
I forgot how much I hate to run long runs by myself. I mean, I had my iPod, but I still got bored. Speaking of iPods, I listened to the entire Across the Universe soundtrack as well as all of Lily Allen's Alright, Still album. Good stuff.

So as far as birds go, it started when a huge black crow nearly took my head off right in the first 10 minutes. Then I saw an egret or heron (what's the difference?) and a red cardinal along the Gateway. And then back on Phalen I saw a bunch of ducks playing in the water and a cute little yellow bird with some black marks on it. (Dad, what is that one?) I was super tired when I was that little yellow one which was when I decided that this run was for the birds.

I'm off to work now, which means I miss our girls' second game, vs North St. Paul. We still haven't practiced outside yet, which means it might get ugly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oof, only 13.5?! I thought you were going for 15ish. Or does it not really matter at this point? I am SO sorry I couldn't be there for you this AM; once I get back down to 2 kids again I will be MUCH more able to assist. Time to bust out the bike trailer! I wonder if I could get the DVD player going in that thing?

Jean said...

No, you're right. I was supposed to do 15. I'm still toggling between the 2 training programs. The other one told me to run 13 miles today, and that felt much more do-able. And for last week, one said 12 miles, one said 14, and we went almost 16, so who knows? I'm kind of winging it at this point.