Thursday, April 10, 2008

Force Out

My taxes are finally done, thanks to Anna at H&R Block. I seriously HATE getting my taxes done- more than going to the dentist, more than just about anything. I never know what papers to bring, and I never know the answers to their questions. Like, "How much were your car tabs?" or "Did you get a property tax refund last year?" And I don't like seeing how much money I make because it makes my job feel more like a job than just some fun thing I get to go and do almost every day. Anyway, the deed is done and I will be getting a nice fat return.

And I am sick again. This time it's a cold with lots of sneezes and a runny, runny nose. I slept in a vat of Vicks Vaporub last night, and was able to breathe through my nose when I woke up in the morning.

Henry Sibley had their first softball games of the season vs Tartan yesterday. Although all Warrior teams lost, my team (B-Squad/Sophomores) did not take the worst beating! The freshmen got that honor losing 26-1. Varsity lost 17-1, and we lost 6-1. Unfortunately my girls struck out 18 times. Since there are only 21 outs in a softball game, we've got some work to do. We still haven't been able to practice outside yet, and today will be no exception. It's 41 degrees, but with 37 mph wind gusts it feels like 31 degrees. And our fields are still mud.

Did I mention that one of my girls asked me last week what a "force out" was? I mean really. This poor girl is 16 years old. Where are her parents? And I had the most difficult time explaining it. I Wikipedia-ed it to see if I could have made myself any clearer, but this it what it said:

"In baseball, a force is a situation when a baserunner is compelled (or forced) to vacate his time-of-pitch base--and thus try to advance to the next base--because the batter became a runner. A runner at first base is always forced to attempt to advance to second base when the batter becomes a runner. Runners at second or third base are forced only when all bases preceding their time-of-pitch base are occupied by other baserunners and the batter becomes a runner. A forced runner's force base is the next base beyond his time-of-pitch base. Any attempt by fielders to put a forced runner out is called a force play."
See what I mean?



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, so I started thinking about explaining a force out, and you are right, it is much harder indeed to find the right wording. Everyone should just know already, then you wouldn't have to explain it. I mean, it is a fairly simple concept, but explaining it to someone else??? How did she get to be 16 and on a softball team without knowing this?

I can't wait to hear about the next date! Oh and I hope you are feeling better so as not to infect anyone on future dates!