Tuesday, April 21, 2009

American Idol: Top 7. Again.

It's disco week, and I'm at the Gronau (that's Gronau with an uno) house. Present are: Joel, Lu, Ed, my dad, me. I get a few pre-show comments:

Lu: I like the girl with the red hair.
Ed: The blue hair!!!
Joel: This... is American cheese. Lucy! You didn't say it!

The show starts rather suddenly with...

Lil-- I'm Every Woman-- Chaka Khan
Lil, here's the problem. You are every woman, but you aren't your OWN woman. I feel like you try to sing like whomever sang the original version. Adding a run or two doesn't really change it up enough for me. And when it came to the modulation, you let your back-up singers do it while you waited and then added a "yeahhhhhh." (This is very hard for me to describe. Sorry.) I feel like you need to take control of your songs, not let them control you. And stop talking back to the judges.
Joel: She's a little off. She's just gotta leave.
Ray: This is the best outfit she's worn. Great body shape.
Lucy: I thought she didn't behave for that one. She didn't hit the rock.
Ed: She's beautiful.

Kris-- She Works Hard For The Money-- Donna Summer
I am REALLY starting to like this guy. I'm not sure why it's taken so long for me to warm up to him, but I have. He's just so cute. And he sounds good too!
Ray: I liked it.
Joel: I think that's his style.
Lu: He didn't hit the rock to me. I don't like the boys.
Ed: Do it again, Grandpa! (Ed is swinging on Grandpa Ray's legs.)

Danny-- September-- Earth, Wind and Fire
The first line is "Do you remember the 21st night of September?" to which Joel yells out, "That's my birthday!" He's correct. I really love Danny's voice, but I feel his overall performance is a bit lacking.
Ray: He's alright. He's like a Tony Bennett and he's already said he can't dance.
Lucy: You WILL remember, Jeannie, because you're writing it down! It's not really fine.

Allison-- Hot Stuff-- Donna Summer
Her voice is excellent, but I'm worried she is forgettable tonight. It helps that the only other girl is a disaster.
Joel: She's wearing leather leggings! I thought the arrangement was a little goofy.
Ray: Dumb song. I think she did a great job. I like the outfit.
Lu: I think she is hitting the rock. I love her. I love her hair. I love her voice. I love everything about her.
Ed: (No comment. He is taking pictures with a princess camera.)

Adam-- If I Can't Have You-- Bee Gees
Dude, I totally got chills! Is Paula shaking? This guy is a-maz-ing!!!
Joel: It's his back pocket token.
Ray: He is completely different. His voice is unbelievable!
Lu: (When asked if she liked him:) Yeah. I have to go brush my teeth.
Ed: I don't like 'Merican Idol.
Ryan Secrest: A pool of Abdul!!!

Matt-- Stayin' Alive-- Bee Gees
I feel like he's having more fun tonight, but his vocals weren't great, and it's really not fair for anyone to go after Adam.
Joel: Definitely better than Lil.
Lu: He was a little spicy to me. A little spicy.

Anoop-- Dim All The Lights-- Donna Summer
I think he is super pitchy this week. And I think he knows it.
Joel: Why do they kid themselves? I didn't like it. Boring.
Lu: Is his name really Anoop? I like that.

Top to Bottom:
Adam
Kris
Allison
Danny
Matt
Anoop
Lil

3 comments:

Rhi said...

Not sure what I look forward to more: the actual show or your review of it? Love the family’s perspective as well =)

Dan said...

I swear, Lucy is the most hysterical four year old on the planet. She absolutely slays me.

I didn't know you commented on AI, too--I'm off to read previous weeks. I love y'all's commentary, and I don't even watch the show!

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Oops. Just realized I forgot to log my husband out and myself in. Dan did not really just comment. Alison did. Sorry. :)