Monday, September 17, 2007

The Long Run

Per Hal's Training Module, I was supposed to run 20 miles last Saturday. Meg had a dance audition to be at in the morning, so she wasn't going to be able to go with me. Fortunately, mom and dad drove up from IL to help me out.
The original plan was for the two of them to bike with me the whole way together, but one of the bikes malfunctioned, so plans changed a bit. Mom and I headed out from Meg's house at 9am and went 11 miles. We met dad just over the half-way mark in North St. Paul. He and mom traded places at that point, so mom drove home, and dad biked the rest of the way with me. Meg had given them very specific instructions about when to offer me water, how I needed to be talked or sang (sung?) to, that I can only answer yes/no questions, etc.
The entire run went swimmingly. It was a cool morning, with bright blue skies. Mom told me lots of stories, and dad sang lots of 50's Rock 'n Roll. It was a great mix. And neither one fell of their bikes, thank goodness.
I tried these energy chews along the way. They're called Shot Bloks, and they look and taste a whole lot like fruit snacks. Each block has about the same amount of caffeine as a 20-oz bottle of Coke. I'm not sure what they're actually supposed to do for me, but I definitely didn't fall asleep during the run.
I actually ended up running 21 miles, and I was done in 3 hours and 30 minutes. I was pretty excited to have run that far, but it is really hard to fathom that I have to run 5.2 more miles in less than 3 weeks. Ugh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yah, but remmeber after the 10-miler in Chicago when you said "Now I just have to run 16 more miles?" See, 5.2 more doesn't sound nearly as imposing!!

Good thing the shot bloks kept you from falling asleep during your run. Because that would have been very unfortunate and VERY funny. :)