Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Cricket Gigolos and their Cruel Despotic Queen

The road is looonng
With many a winding turn...
She ain't heavy, she's my sister...

Hey there! This is Meg blogging for Jean today. Because Jean ran 18 miles yesterday in 95-degree heat and because she watched my kids for me for 1.5 hours today so I could get some grocery shopping done -- Jean, this blog's for you.

She took off from the start of the Gateway Trail yesterday (just north of downtown St Paul), a little before noon. The weather forecast apparently told her it was only going to be 81 degrees, but I was there, friends, and I assure you it was much closer to the mid-90s, at least by the time we finished. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Jean started solo, because the fam and I were coming back from The Lake and Joel had to take off for his Fantasy Foosball draft by 3:30, so we had limited time to put this 18-mile monster to bed. So I drove up to Hwy 36 and 694, where I parked my car on Hadley, hopped on my (Jean's) bike, and started pedaling toward her (I hoped) at about 1:15. Here is what I packed to make Jean's run less miserable:
3 bottles of water
1 chapstick (cherry)
4 pieces of Trident Original

We met up near downtown North St Paul and I hung a U-ey to continue on with her back to my parking spot. Jean immediately slammed half a bottle of water (she'd already gone about 8 miles) and we continued back up to Hadley before turning back around and doing the second 9 miles. It was really quite lovely in the shade, but the sun was truly brutal. The other detractor from Jean's enjoyment (if you can call it that) of the run were the super-bizarre crickets that flung themselves into her path like hara-kiri-committing goddess-worshippers. These things had giant wings (I insisted they were butterflies, for a while) and they would jump at Jean's shins and then toss themselves about, banging into her from all angles and making an icky buzzing noise.

Anyway, she made it 18 miles!! Isn't that stinkin' amazing. I am so very proud of her dedicating herself to this marathon, even while working full-time, playing in 2 or 3 softball leagues, 2 volleyball leagues, a kickball league, and juggling the attentions of Thursday, her new man-friend. Has she told you about her new man-friend? He's a cuuuuutie...

Anybody who wants to come help me cheer Jean on during the marathon on Sun., Oct 7, we are planning to have a pre-race meeting at my house to plot the course and split up our cheering sections. Following the marathon, there will be a celebratory champagne brunch at my house. You should come!

4 comments:

Rhi said...

Jean you constantly amaze me!! 18 miles is incredible....I think that is longer than my commute, amazing!!

Meg thanks for the great update!!

I definitely want to hear more about this cute new man!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean! 18 miles - that' so awesome!!! Hope you're doing well, see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Man, I have some very cool daughters!! I miss you and long to see you...

Mamacita

Amy said...

Congrats Jean!! 18 miles Wow! I'm quite amazed! good luck on the 7th!!!