Monday, November 27, 2006

By The Shore Of Gitche Gumee...

On Saturday Nov. 25 (the day of Eddie's baptism and the day after Ellen's quarter-century birthday) I went on a run with Meg and Ellen. It's always more fun running with other people, especially my 2 sistas. However, it was not a great run for me. On a scale of 0 to 10 (zero being "I am Joan Benoit Samuelson" and 10 being "Someone grab the defibrillator!") I was a 6. Meg was a 7. Ellen was a 2. I suspect she was actually a zero but didn't want to rub it in.
This whole week I am at Abbott Northwestern Hospital for training in new computerized charting. I spent 8 hours sitting in a small room with 20 other nurses. I almost scratched my eyes out - not good, since they just recovered from whatever was wrong with them last week.
On the way home, I stopped at Lake Nokomis to run. I felt so good that I went around twice, for a total of 5.4 miles. I usually have songs running through my head - today's were "Out Tonight" from RENT and then Billy Joel's "The Longest Time". There was also a strange combo of smells - grapefruit and hamsters. The rain held off until I was well on my way home, and Prison Break is on tonight. Yessssss!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hamsters! Why did you mention hamsters!? Dad called today with some bizarre message about the late, great Hamptoinette. Coincidence? I think not.

So your eye is better?? I couldn't bear to ask. All better, or just better on the better-worse continuum?

Unknown said...

So I think Lake Phalen IS a 5K. I checked the website and even though there is an extra bump-out around a second lake, it keeps saying "3.2 miles around Lake Phalen" so I think that's it!

Jean said...

I mentioned hamsters because there were fresh woodchips around the lake, and it smelled like Hammy to me.
My eye is totally better. Today is the second with contacts, and so far, so good!

Amy said...

Wow jean! I love to read your updates. I also get random songs that run through my head when I exercise. grapefruits and hampsters though? hmmmm.....

Anonymous said...

Hey out of state running partner! You inspired me yesterday. I went about 7 miles last night and am getting dangerously close to Navy Pier. I even left a little in the tank for faster finish. Not a sprint, mind you, but faster nonetheless. I doubt I'll get one in today, but I'll keep ya posted. Ha! No pun intended!

Anonymous said...

happy feet are running feet,good job nurse nice

Anonymous said...

i think my comment went to another blog. this is kinda test,dadi

Katers said...

I am impressed and quite stunned in the "Ray Ryans" I think about driving 3 miles, but running? And Ellen running 7?? Wow! You guys are inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Jean, you are amazing -- so much energy! I am happy to post a message on your blog. It is my first posting in cyber-space ever!

**Rachel

Rebecca said...

Agh! My heroes. I SO want to get into the running thing....problem is, I've never done it willingly, so I don't know where to start...

(From Becky... you know, Meggo's friend from Schaumburg...and Winona)