Monday, March 16, 2009

I Been Got!

Spring is in full swing! Ok, officially not until Friday, but it sure felt like it today. I think it hit 60!

We're into the second week of softball season and, well, it's not looking good. Tryouts (or auditions, as I like to call them) are mercifully coming to a close. Today we took the outfielders outside in the parking lot to work on some pop-ups. It was a disaster! A girl would run in and the ball would fly over her head. The throws were all over the place. We lost a couple of balls in a snow bank, at least 1 went down a drain, and another hit a Student Driver car. Whoops!

Cameron and I have been on complete opposite schedules lately. He having school during the day and then working 3pm-10pm, me working mostly 7am-3pm with softball practice in the evenings. We did get to go out to dinner yesterday- juicy burgers at The 5-8 Club. So good! We saw the space shuttle Discovery launch between bites.
Cam told me not to forget to write that we also spent about 15 minutes picking up the poop in his yard. It was a 2-person job (well, it was a 2-dog job that required a 2-person pick-up). He sliced his tall man finger at work on Friday and needed a few stitches. The bleeding is controlled, but it's still pretty numb. Poor guy.

Work has been pretty hilarious lately. Over the weekend, a chubby 20-something black kid came in to be seen. Let's call him Joshua. I asked my usual, "So, what brings you here?"
Joshua: I been got!
Me: You've been shot?
Joshua: No, I been GOT!
Me: Ummm.. Whaaa???
Joshua: I. Been. Got!!! (pointing at his man-junk)
Me: You have an STD?
Joshua: I think so. My doctor called and told me to come here.
Me, searching through his electronic chart: Oh, you have Chlamydia.
Joshua: That's it! Whazzthat?
Me: It's an STD.
Joshua: You mean I'm burnt?!?
Me: What?
Joshua: I'm burnt! Is that contagious?
Me: Yeeaaahhh.

The conversation goes on, but by this point, I have uncontrollable giggles. He is laughing too. I continue to giggle through the next 3 people I triage, apologizing the entire time.

I have more to write, but I'm tired and want to go to bed. Happy St. Patty's day tomorrow!!!

3 comments:

Katers said...

That is AWESOME Jean, I love ER stories, especially involving STDs!

My brother Dan is trying to market a "scratch and sniff" STD book to be sold at doctors offices and the like :-p

McGuff said...

Too Funny!! I love that story. I am glad that he had a sense of humor and laughed along with you. I would have lost it too!! I, like Kate, love these stories so keep 'em coming!!

Amy said...

Oh Jean, I also love these stories although I also get them. People never cease to amaze me....one of these days we'll have to compare stories to see if people are truly sick or merely ignorant :)