Monday, March 24, 2008

Sicko.

I was supposed to to to New York with my mom for the weekend. We had fantastic plans to see Broadway shows, museums, large buildings, famous people, etc. Well, we didn't make it.

It all started Tuesday afternoon when I got a terrible headache. I blamed it on the beer at the Wild game the night before. Wednesday I got the chills at work really bad. I kept checking my temp which kept going up and up. I really wanted to and probably should have taken some Tylenol or Ibuprofen, but I had a bet with this doofus at work that my fever would go above 103 by 3pm, so I held off. (As I type this, I am seeing how ridiculous I sound.) Anyway, by 3 it was 103.6, so I took some drugs and my $20 and went home. I called in sick Thursday and saw my doctor just to make sure I didn’t have anything contagious. (I think flying while contagious is just bad form). I was negative for strep and she didn’t think I presented like the flu. She gave me the ok to fly and we still planned to leave for NY Friday morning, and if I had felt even remotely normal, I would have bucked up and gone, but I felt like I was going to die. Chills, sweats, sore throats, I couldn’t do it.
Instead, my parents drove up from Chicago to nurse me back to health! It was seriously so nice to have them here! Mom made chicken noodle soup and hot tea with lemon and honey, Dad sang/hummed tunes, and I slept for 3 days.
I woke up Easter morning feeling like a new person! We bought last-minute tickets to The Drowsy Chaperone at the Ordway, and ate omelets and fruit and coffee cake for Easter dinner. I am bummed about not going to NY, but as a wise friend of mine said, "New York will probably always be there."

I have officially begun my serious marathon training. Now that I am healthy and the weather is *somewhat* cooperating, I'm all in.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoever said "New York will probably always be there" is probably my new best friend and I probably want a tshirt with that slogan on it. :)

I am the Worst Sister Ever -- I just got to the bottom of your front page and realized I hadn't yet read a SINGLE THING ON IT. See, you have to post more often with more regularity, see. Oh wait you are.

Unknown said...

PS I also want a tshirt that says "And he shall be Livan/And he shall be a good man."

Where is BatGirl when we need her?!?!