Monday, December 17, 2007

A Pirate? Horror!

It is the end of a long 4-day weekend for me, starting Friday with my 29th birthday. Went out with some friends that evening. Drank a lot. Got annoyed because some people were all, "I can't mix my liquor," so I was all "I can only mix my liquor." Paid the price to carry out that charade, I tell you what. Daiquiris + Chardonnay + Miller Lite + Sex on the Beach + Rum & Coke= icky tummy the next morning. Met a pilot who I kept insisting was a pirate. He didn't think I was too witty. Perhaps it was the absence of brandy on my list of drinks.

Saturday morning my mom flew in. Dad stayed in IL with a nasty cough and headache. Went to Meg's Christmas show in the evening. It was wild. Meg slipped on her big yellow dress and fell on her bum during one number, then later came out with only one shoe buckled. That one was a high-kick number and we were all in the second row, maybe 20 feet from the loose shoe. Terrifying. Then I looked over and Lucy was drinking. No, slurping out of a flask. What a family!
Overall, the show was fun and it was good to see Meg performing again. She'll be choreographing a production of High School Musical next.

Sunday I drove mom to the airport, cleaned up my house a bit, played some numbers from Hairspray (Meg gave me the sheet music for my birthday), went on a run, changed the sheets on my bed, and watched the finale of Survivor.

Went on another run today, and the weather was finally great! It was almost 30 degrees, sunny, and not windy. I even heard birds chirping. It felt like spring! Unfortunately with the roads so clear, drivers decided to speed it up and I almost got hit twice in the last 1/4 mile. I have never really been in any danger running on the roads, but today shook me up a bit. I think I may stick to running around lakes for awhile. Why, oh why, aren't there any sidewalks?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SIdewalks aren't too much better-at least around here. Last weekI went for a run and for a short bit I tried the sidewalk. Unfortunately you will be running along and you will come to a patch where no one has bothered to shovel. Icy snow. Very dangerous. Stick with the streets!

Jean said...

You know, you're right. The few sidewalks I ran on today were lightly snow-covered with spots of ice underneath. I still feel like I have some control, though, unlike when an SUV is speeding toward me.