Tuesday, December 26, 2006

With A Broken Rib...

The reason I haven't been blogging is because I haven't been running. The reason I haven't been running is because I wiped out. Downhill skiing. In Lutsen.
I blame it on Joel. He fell first, in front of me, with skis and poles going every which way. So in my attempts to 1. avoid crashing into him, 2. help collect his gear, and 3. see if he was ok, I slid off-course and landed on a huge clump of ice. I knocked the wind out of me and had trouble breathing, so the Ski Patrol snow-mobiled me up the hill to their station. Some old dude wearing glasses with Harry Caray-like thickness checked me out, diagnosed me with some broken ribs, and told me to the to the hospital. Meg, Ellen, and Joel drove me to the ER in Grand Marais. I didn't get x-rays because apparently you can't do anything for broken ribs, and if I had puntured a lung I would know it (?). They gave me some vicodin, and I did ski the entire next day, but I haven't tried running yet. Maybe today. There is still some pain when I take in a really deep breath, but I think I've rested for an adequate amount of time now.
I've been a patient in Emergency Rooms twice now in 1 month, and I think that's plenty.
It's time for a new hobby.

No comments: