Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I should have waited longer.

I did go for a run yesterday, just to test the ribs out. I only went for 30 minutes, but it felt pretty good, and I had been desperate for any amount of exercise.
But then I went and worked 8 hours at the hospital, and I was in PAIN! Not just the occasional uncomfortable twitch in my side when I reached for something, but actual constant pain that brought tears to my eyes. I talked with a pharmacist and a doctor on my floor, and they both concurred that I ran too soon. Apparently when they say it takes 3-6 weeks of rest to heal a broken rib, they actually mean... rest. And no running.
Anyway, I'm mad at myself for pushing too soon. Is it possible that I'm not as fast a healer as I thought I was? I hope not. I'll probably try again in a couple days just to make sure.

In a completely unrelated story, I did discover Ellen's stocking stuffer to Eddie in the back of my refrigerator today - a delicious block of half-eaten brie cheese. Merry Christmas to me!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's too bad you are in pain. Instead of waiting a few more days, I think you should wait at least a week. No sense further injuring yourself!

Oh and eewww, half eaten brie and you call that a treat? man I always knew you rolling meadows Ryans were a little crazy but this even tops my expectations!

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, but what 9 month old child doesn't like brie, whether it is whole or otherwise?? AND I believe Ed has teeth now.

Jean, how do the doctors feel about a 4 day trek in the Andes followed by a 3 day white water rafting trip.

Jean said...

I didn't tell the doctor about our trip, El. I don't think the altitude will be a problem. Breathing is totally overrated, anyway. But I will call dibs on the left side of the raft.
I'n sure there are fantastic medical facilities in Peru if anything happens. (I hope mom isn't reading this :)