Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

Every year I have a Survivor practice with the girls. I split them into 2 tribes, give them buffs, and have them complete in a series of challenges. Here are pictures of the 2 teams this year:


The girls were really good sports, and the weather was perfect. We play 3 games this week, another 3 in our tournament on Saturday, then we're done!

Friday night I went to the Twins game with some friends. We were playing the Red Sox, a team I have never seen play live. It was a thrilling game, and the Twins ended up winning, down 5-6 with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. Mike Lamb hit a single to left that scored 2 runs for the win. And the crowd went wild! Here's us earlier in the game...


Meg rollerbladed the first 45 minutes of my 12-miler this morning. It took me 2 hours and 5 minutes to finish, and I felt just fine the whole way. We went along Shepard/Warner Road and it was a beautiful morning. We probably could have done without the breezes at the end, but it wasn't all that terrible. I've been cheating a bit on my shorter week-day runs because I've been so busy, but I think as long as I still do one long run a week I should be ok. I'll definitely have more time after this week.

At work on Saturday, a guy came in with left ear pain and trouble hearing. I took a look and he had a ton of wax in there. So, I got a syringe and a warm water/hydrogen peroxide mix and I irrigated his ear out. A bunch of nasty wax and what-not came pouring out, and after the third irrigation, he was in no pain and he could hear! I sent him home feeling like a successful ER nurse.
On Sunday an ambulance brought in a guy having an acute MI (heart attack). At the time he arrived, we had no other patients in back, so each nurse took a task (IV starter, drug giver, recorder/charted, protocol enterer, putting the patient into a gown and hooking him up to the monitors, and so forth.) In 16 minutes all the big drugs had been started (Integrelin, Heparin, etc.) and he was on his way up the the Cath Lab. In 52 minutes, the vessel was opened up and he was doing great! Goal time is apparently 30 minutes from door to Cath Lab and 90 minutes from door to completion of catheterization. We were all high-fiving each other afterwards. It was pretty cool.

1 comment:

Amy said...

don't you just love the ER?