Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Personal Trainer... or the devil?

So with a Lifetime membership you get a free assessment with a trainer, so I did this last night after work. And it was awful. My trainer Justin was a kid in his early 20's with large muscles and even bigger attitude. He was quite condescending, and pretty much made me feel awful about myself: I don't eat right and should be taking vitamins ("And, oh! We sell some right here!"), I don't do enough strength training ("You'll lose muscle mass as you head into your 40's."), I need to stretch more, monitor my heart rate ("I recommend this $150 GPS watch."), and my training regimen is lame ("You should get a personal trainer for only $99 a session!")
And then he would ask me questions to see if I was paying attention. I wanted to smack him. Instead, I just smiled and nodded and will go on with my life- sans personal trainer. So there.
Today I swam 20 laps in the pool with frequent breaks. I was told by an unreliable source that 34 laps is a mile, and I'm pretty sure my arms will fall off before I ever get there.
I work 3-11:30pm tonight, and plan to take a nap sometime before that. Or make banana bread. Or both.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Umm, I'm going to go with the devil. What a dweeb! If you want that kind of abuse, I recommend Wii Fit! :)

Unknown said...

Excuse me, but did he insinuate YOU were heading into your 40's? Clearly all of his braincells went to building biceps-you just turned 30! And- you have to be one of the most in-shape people I know!

Anonymous said...

For your idiot trainer! Two articles on (1) the bogus "stretching" mantra and (2) that science does not back vitamin use.

1. GRETCHEN REYNOLDS. Phys Ed
Stretching: The Truth. NYTimes October 31, 2008.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html?scp=1&sq=stretch%20or%20not%20to%20strech&st=cse

2. TARA PARKER-POPE. Vitamin Pills: A False Hope? NYTimes. Well. January 17, 2009.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/health/17well.html?8dpc